A blog about me and my life as a wife and stay at home mummy

Saturday, 22 August 2009

Where it all began....

I was looking back to when DH and I discovered we were pregnant...

It was March 2007 and DH and I were very busy, our wedding was planned for the next month and we still hadn't sorted the evening entertainment, the flowers and the honeymoon. We were also organising dress and suit fittings and meetings with the photographer and hotel to name a few others. We'd booked the wedding in July 2006 but had left a few things until the last minute!

We were also helping with our local scout and guide variety show "Chorley Capers". DH was lighting technician and I was operating a follow spot (spot light) for the first time ever with no prior training. It was a hectic week which involved mad dashes down the M6 & M61 after work, a quick tea and a dash to the theatre for 6pm every night. I loved it - I was absolutely exhausted but enjoying everything so much. It was during this show week that I discovered I was going to have a baby.

The weekend before the show started, was spent setting up, so DH & I were there all day helping put up lights, connect speakers, paint scenery and do any other odd jobs around the place. The place had been shut up for a while and the theater smelt horrible. Behind the stage was damp and there were numerous rat traps around. The smell knocked me back the first time I went back there, I was surprised as after a while I needed to run outside to get fresh air. I couldn't remember ever feeling that bad just from smelling a bad smell! I also felt queasy but put that down to PMS as my period was due on Monday.

Monday came and we attended the theatre to watch the show for the first time in rehearsal. We were busy writing down cue's and notes as to the actors positions on the stage when they would need spotlighting. I also practised altering the size of my spot and moving it slowing and gently. Even more difficult was keeping it still. At the end of the night I mentioned the lack of period to DH and he said not to worry it was only 1 day and would probably start the next day.

Tuesday came and by the evening, no period. I was worried, DH again rather "you've got your dates wrong" unconcerned.

Nothing on Wednesday either - by now each day was dragging and I couldn't concentrate at work. It was all I could think about. I went on numerous websites and got nowhere.

Thursday was horrendous, started looking back through my diary and remembered the night my friends had come to stay about 2 weeks ago...hmm....night out in town, a few glasses of wine, a night of passion with DH and oh yes we didn't use any contraception. Period now 4 days late. HHHMMMMM, but I was on my period when we did the deed - you can't get pregnant then surely??

Well after mumbling some feeble excuse about a headache I left work early, rang DH and ordered him to go to Tesco and get a pregnancy test. He went and got 2! I ran in the house and grabbed it off the stairs and went straight to the bathroom.

It was positive, the result came up in seconds. There was a big silent pause as I stood there not really knowing what to think/say/do. I was interrupted by DH coming upstairs. Once I told him I cried and cried. I don't know why really. I asked the stupid question "What are we going to do?" to which DH said have a baby!!

I rang a friend and told her, still a bit emotional. She told me to go to the doctors and everything would go from there.

One month later we were married on a beautiful sunny day in April and it was fantastic. I felt queasy at times but managed to get through the day and actually really enjoyed it. We went on honeymoon to France and stayed in a small cottage and self catered - not very flash but a good job as all I could eat was toast!

I had my 12 week scan and booking in appointment when we got back from honeymoon and we were all set for the due date which was only one day different to my calculations. We told people now and started to get used to the idea of being pregnant. I had queasy ness until 16 weeks and was so tired I constantly late for work and falling asleep after my tea. Then it was great and after the 20 week scan when we found out little bean was a boy, I finally got excited and we started to buy things for him and get a room ready.

The rest of the pregnancy went smoothly, I finished work at 37 weeks and little man was born exactly on month later.

I'll write my brith story on a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment