A blog about me and my life as a wife and stay at home mummy

Monday, 8 June 2009

Testing Times and lovely moments!

This last week has been hard work. Little man has developed severe seperation anxiety. It seems to be only connected to mummy though. We've had a nightmare at bedtime for the last week until at the weekend we eventually figured out what was wrong.

We stuck rigidly to our bedtime routine until we got too tired. So we have changed it a bit. Little man now has his bath, has some milk and then Mummy puts him in the cot and tells him a bedtime story. Last night I made one up. I called it Little Train and he loved it. I had to tell it again tonight. It has lots of sound effects of different animals and trains in. Anyway it worked!! Yippee!! Little man lay on his tummy as I told him the story and he drifted off to sleep as I stroked his soft face and hair. It was lovely.

He woke up at 5.30am this morning however screaming for food. I took him in our bed and fed him there and he cuddled up and lay sleepily next to me, it was gorgeous. His soft skin was warm and he was looking at me with his huge, beautiful eyes. We smiled at each other which melted my heart and he fell asleep in the middle of me and DH.

Little man is still very clingy in the daytime too and not been too happy today. We had the first explosive nappy for while which resulted in a full change of clothes and a quick shower! Little man loved the shower, we took it off the high up bit and turned down the pressure and he loved it as it tickled him, he was giggling and kept putting his hand under the water.

I think all the above are signs that the next bout of teething is here. I'm dreading the time when he actually starts to cut them! He was awful when he got his pre-molars and didn't eat very much for 2 months. Tonight he refused fishcake but wolfed down mummy's homemade lamb casserole and mashed potato followed by a whole peach, a yoghurt and some flapjack!

The weekend was good but also hard as my parents were desperately trying to feed little man things I don't want them to feed him. They think it's wonderful to give him chips (with loads of salt on), crisps, orange cordial, ice cream, ice lollies etc... despite my protests, they keep sneaking them on his plate. So I took them off and ate them myself. I dread the day they have him on their own, he'll eat nothing but crisps and chips!

They also don't agree with the way I do everything and criticised me for cuddling him if he fell over, said I was kissing and cuddling him too much in general and told me "just to go" when I went out on Friday night, instead of explaining to little man where I was going and what was going to happen. We have found this helps him instead of him just realising Mummy has gone. We also got criticised for wanting to give him snacks before we went out and changing nappies which were just wet not dirty. Those of us who are parents know why we do all the above at the times we do and I've also pried myself on being a good judge on what little man wants and when. Therefore whenever we go out he's usually happy. My parents don't see all this and think he is the world's best behaved baby!


DH has also been ill, the exhaustion type illness again. He was great and came to my mum and dad's with me this weekend though. All was going okay until this morning. DH is still unwell physically but seems to be struggling mentally again. It's been a hard day coping with a clingy whingey baby and an upset husband who occasionally turned his frustration into anger and lashed out at me for one reason or another. He's also become incapable of making a decision.

However this is what the "in sickness and health" bit is for, although we didn't get married in a church so it was worded slightly differently for us. It still means the same though. I love him and I thought back to that special day and all the other wonderful days and knew that this was just one day and we would get through it. We have been through it before a few years ago, okay it was scary and hard and we didn't have a baby. It was much worse then and I hope that it won't get that bad ever again but I know that we did it then and we will do it again if we need to.

Cash flow situation still very tight but hopefully we can break even this month.

Ohhh long post - vented feeling and emotions all out!

Let's think about positive things for this week:

  • veg is growing really well and one tomato plant has a flower one!
  • nearly my birthday so an excuse to get dressed up and go out for a meal oohh and possibly a present or two?!
  • lots of lovely special moments and cuddles spent with little man
  • got 100 free texts from o2 today
  • had fab night out on Friday at the theatre and really want to get involved in that sort of thing again one day
  • Got another night out planned soon for friends joint hen/stag doo if we can get babysitters & afford to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment